This article was originally published on GoErie.com on November 15, 2017
An Erie County judge has extended the deadline for lawyers to file pretrial motions in the case against a 15-year-old Erie boy accused of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of a man in January.
Erie County Judge John Garhart on Wednesday moved the pretrial motion deadline to Feb. 15 in the case against Keyon E. Lucas, who was 14 years old when city police charge that he fatally shot 24-year-old Lavelle Beason in the 500 block of East 22nd Street on Jan. 23.
Lucas’ court-appointed lawyer, Alison Scarpitti, said during a pretrial hearing in Garhart’s chambers Wednesday morning that she plans to have Lucas evaluated to determine whether Lucas would be amenable to rehabilitation in Juvenile Court.
No motions have been filed so far seeking to decertify, or transfer, the case against Lucas to Juvenile Court.
A trial date in the case isn’t expected to be set until after the pretrial motion deadline and any decertification hearing.
Lucas remains in the Erie County Prison without bond, charged as an adult with homicide and other offenses. Prosecutors said at his formal arraignment in June that they are pursuing a first-degree murder conviction.