by: Stephen Sebald

Sometimes circumstances change. The original custody schedule you made when you first got divorced or separated from your child’s other parent could no longer be relevant based on your current situation. There are many reasons that could lead to the need to change the arrangement, including, but not limited to the following:

  • Change in living arrangements
  • Behavioral problems
  • Relocation
  • Marriage
  • Employment issues
  • Problems with the execution of the previous agreement
  • What the child wants

The above are just a few instances in which it is common for a parent to seek a modification to their existing custody schedule.

When seeking a new arrangement, you must do so by filling out a custody modification form. This includes giving a detailed explanation specifically identifying why you are seeking the change. Courts can be hesitant to allow alterations without good reason, but if it is one mentioned above or specifically beneficial to the child, the court will have more motivation to allow the modification.

These adjustments can be easy if both parents agree to the changes, but in the event one parent does not agree, the custody adjustment form will be taken by a judge and can potentially lead to two hearings. The first will usually include the judge sending both parents to mediation in hopes that they will work out an agreement. If this does not work, then they will return to court for a second time where the judge will make a ruling regarding a modified schedule.

Sometimes, especially if you and the other parent do not agree on the modification, seeking legal assistance from an experienced family law attorney will help you get the arrangement that is most beneficial for your child. The process can be overwhelming and time consuming, so call us today at Sebald, Hackwelder, & Knox to get the help you need: (814) 833-1987.